We’re often warned about being careful when it comes to looking out for animals on the road. However, sometimes even despite our best efforts you can find yourself in an accident because of a collision with an animal. This can be a very scary situation to have to deal with, but knowing what steps to take in order to improve the situation is essential as a driver.
(Did you know some areas of Utah are listed as the top hotspots for wildlife collisions in the country? This highlights the importance of being prepared on the road!)
What to do if You Collide with an Animal
We’ve gathered the steps for you here so you don’t have to look far.
- Pull off to the side of the road once you’ve found a spot that’s safe and out of the way.
- Do your best to remain as calm and focused as possible. The less panicked you are the better equipped you’ll be to handle the situation.
- Turn on your hazard lights so others can see you and consider using a flare to warn other drivers out on the road.
- Stay away from the injured animal and don’t make any moves to approach it. It’s best to wait for the authorities and let them deal with it professionally.
- Report the accident to the police as soon as possible. Some states will have laws about leaving the scene of an animal related accident so make sure you know what the rules are in your specific area.
- Do your best to photograph the scene as well as any damage to your vehicle. Be sure to do this from a safe location and don’t take any risks to capture your photos.
Make Sure You’re Protected with Car Insurance
It’s also incredibly important to be sure you have the right car insurance to protect yourself from out of pocket costs if you collide with an animal. Call us today to learn more about collision insurance in Salt Lake City and creating the right policy for you.